Saturday, August 27, 2011
Preparing for my big ride
Just going through a checklist in my head to make sure I have everything: helmet, camelbak, gloves, bike, etc. Also thinking about my expectations for this event. In no particular order, here they are:
1. I expect to finish this race. each & every mile. no quitting
2. I expect it'll take about 6 hours ride time + another hour for the aid stations
3. I expect to burn 3000-4000 calories
4. I'm going to work on staying well-hydrated & well-fueled all day (challenging since my band is being quite fickle right now. soft foods for me)
5. this is no Sunday afternoon leisurely ride! I want to keep my heart rate about 75% of max on the flats & 90% on the climbs
6. No dawdling for me. I will pedal on the downhills &keep cadence on the flats
7. I will relish every single part of the experience!!!!!!
It sorta sunk in today that I'm 8 months from surgery. that's it. just 8 measly months & yet here I am preparing for an epic ride. Preparing like its no big thang; like its completely natural that non-athletic me is capable of this. Who is this girl??? I took pics & measurements today that I'll post later this week. who is this girl? I honestly don't recognize my body at all.
Jennifer Hudson's "Feeling Good" is my theme song for tomorrow. what's yours?
wish me luck, my lovelies!!!